living in a shotgun shack
and you may find yourself
in another part of the world
and you may ask yourself
well ... how did I get here?
****This challenge is underway****
Announcing the third annual Exquisite Corpse Challenge! Please read through the challenge, as this year there are some new rules and a couple tweaks to old ones.
For those who are new to the concept: an "exquisite corpse" is a surreal, collaborative artwork created using a series of prompts. For a written corpse, each person writes their part based on very thin knowledge of what came before. The history of the form is here, very briefly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exquisite_corpse. You can read the previous Elysian Fields exquisite corpses here, here, and here.
This is intended as a time-limited, prompt-driven challenge -- that is, by signing up you commit to waiting for your prompt, to seeing what it sparks, and then to writing for 7 days. The end result tends toward the surreal specifically because the small amount of info passed along from author to author encourages discontinuities.
Here's how it will work:
*** EDIT: We have a volunteer to write the opening chapter. ***
1. If you want to participate, PM me before or on January 31. Let me know if you have special timing needs -- any periods in February, March, or April when you know you will be otherwise occupied.
2. I'll put you on the list.
3. I will randomly draw names from the list to establish the order of writers. (Yes, this means everyone risks going first -- but if that ends up being you, I will provide you with an optional prompt.*)
4. The first person writes Chapter 1, and sends it to me.
5. I send only the last paragraph on to the second person, who will have have 7 days to write Chapter 2, and send me their completed chapter.
7. This will publish on consecutive days, starting no sooner than May 1, after it's complete -- although if we get many more authors than expected, we may split it into a couple of flurries of continuous days.
*If anyone has a first chapter of a fic they’ve come to accept they will never continue, and would like to donate it as chapter one -- or if anyone would just generally enjoy going first -- please let me know!
And just a note, because it can be an issue: participation in the EC (or other collaborations) will mess with your word count -- if I remember right, it awards all the EC words to me, because I create the story. My understanding is that there isn’t a fix for that.