Best Wishes by Kanita [PG-13]
Past Featured Story
Summary: Beginning just after the events of “The Girl in Question” a benevolent vengeance demon grants an inadvertent wish made by Buffy in Rome that sends Buffy, Spike, and Xander back to the middle of “The Harsh Light of Day” where they are given a chance to change their past lives for the better.
Beta and Sensitivity Readers: None
Artists: None
Story Notes: So… I’m a very long-term lurker who has finally worked up the nerve to post something I’ve written. This story has technically been a couple of years in the making, but I only started writing with regularity last fall. Things were moving along nicely until about three months ago when I made the “mistake” of looking back through the challenge section of this site. While there I found a challenge that fit well within what I was already writing… that also sparked the muse. Then I found a second one. Then I found acekoomboom’s Infinity Challenge, went off the deep end, and started adding to my outline. Then I read about April challenge month. And here we are.
This story is not yet complete (and also posted without a beta- so all errors are mine!), but I wanted to put it out into the universe now because it has become a challenge story, and because having other people read it will encourage me to finish it. I also don’t own any of the characters, etc., from Buffy/Angel (though I would definitely take Spike if I could!), and no copy right infringement is intended. Thanks for reading my (very long overdue) contribution to the Spuffy fandom, and I hope you enjoy it!

1. Prologue: Post "The Girl in Question" by Kanita - Likes: 82 Comments: 61 Word Count: 869 Hit Count: 13,242 Published: April 06, 2019

I’m dipping my toe into the water by posting just the (short) prologue right now, but I hope to post more soon. Thanks again for reading! wave

2. Part I: During "The Harsh Light of Day" Chapter 1 by Kanita - Likes: 69 Comments: 47 Word Count: 5,330 Hit Count: 6,193 Published: April 08, 2019

Buffy quotes Spike from "Afterlife" and "Once More with Feeling"; Spike quotes Romeo and Juliet and himself in "Lovers Walk."

A/N: Wow! There are no words that express how blown away I am by everyone's response to my story. I've been reading all of the reviews, and decided to go ahead and post this first chapter now... but I hope to start responding to at least some of the lovely things y'all have been saying in the next day or so when I have more time. Thanks so much for the very warm welcome!!! I hope that all of you continue to enjoy where I'm going with this!

3. Part I: During "The Harsh Light of Day" Chapter 2 by Kanita - Likes: 56 Comments: 23 Word Count: 7,008 Hit Count: 5,186 Published: April 20, 2019

A slightly longer update today. Spike borrows a line from a Will Smith song, and a line from himself in "Doomed"; Buffy quotes Spike from "Becoming, Part 2.”

A/N: Here is the next chapter, which I hope all of you will enjoy! If all goes according to plan I should be able to post every other week without burning through what I’ve already written too quickly, as this is still a work in progress.

I also continue to be amazed and so very grateful for the thoughtful and encouraging comments you guys have been leaving me! I’m a recovering lurker… so I want you all to know that just because I haven’t responded to your comment personally doesn’t mean I haven’t read it and appreciated it!! Thanks so much for reading!! biggrin

4. Part I: During "The Harsh Light of Day" Chapter 3 by Kanita - Likes: 57 Comments: 29 Word Count: 5,812 Hit Count: 4,657 Published: May 04, 2019

Some phrases borrowed from "Into the Woods", "School Hard", and "Fool for Love."

A/N: So... all of my grand plans for responding to the very wonderful and muse-inspiring comments I've been receiving were derailed because I've been out of town, and couldn't give them the attention they deserve. I hope you'll forgive me as I was able to squeeze in the final edits needed on this chapter, and am posting on schedule. I continue to be amazed by the support and interest in my story, and hope that I continue to keep everyone engaged as we go forward! Thanks so much for reading and commenting!! blow_kiss

5. Part I: During "The Harsh Light of Day" Chapter 4 by Kanita - Likes: 56 Comments: 27 Word Count: 5,490 Hit Count: 4,377 Published: May 18, 2019

Spike quotes a line from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, one line from the movie Casablanca, and one from himself in the Angel episode "Smile Time." There are also a couple lines borrowed from "Fool for Love", and a few borrowed from "The Harsh Light of Day.”

A/N: I feel a little less like a slacker as I was finally able to start re-reading and responding to some of your delightful comments earlier today. I didn't get to them all, but know that I really do value the feedback and encouragement more than I can express!!hearts

 And now... without further ado the conclusion of Part I! Hope you enjoy! As always, thanks for reading!!

6. Part II: Season Four Chapter 1 by Kanita - Likes: 54 Comments: 31 Word Count: 6,812 Hit Count: 4,381 Published: June 01, 2019

A lot of dialogue taken from "Fear, Itself" and "Wild at Heart." Spike also borrows a quote from C.S. Lewis' The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

A/N: This is the second longest chapter of the story to date, so don't get used to it! I'll also confess that RL interfered again with my goal of staying more on top of comments. Know that I do still read and greatly appreciate them all! You guys really are awesome, and I'm so grateful for all of the support and feedback!! That said, I hope you enjoy the first chapter of Part II!!

7. Part II: Season Four Chapter 2 by Kanita - Likes: 49 Comments: 25 Word Count: 6,078 Hit Count: 4,127 Published: June 15, 2019

Some lines borrowed from "Pangs" and "Something Blue." Spike quotes one line from himself in "I was made to love you" and "Help." Spike and Giles borrow lines from Samuel Beckett's play Waiting for Godot.

A/N: This chapter has a slight reference to "Seeing Red" and takes what Willow did to Buffy and Spike in "Something Blue" a step further. While I love the episode (Spuffy fan here!) it feels like Buffy and Co. never fully appreciated the consequences or implications of Willow's "Will Be Done" spell. This is my attempt to set that right, and also allow Willow to start learning the negative consequences of Magic in a less world ending way. Because there are some questionable consent issues (also off-screen, with no permanent or lasting damage) I felt like I should go ahead and own them here, rather than surprise anyone.

Otherwise: Even though I continue to be a huge slacker where responses to comments are concerned, know that I still love and appreciate all of them. Your likes and feedback keep me going! You guys are awesome!! flowersheartsI'm going to be better. Thanks for reading!!

8. Part II: Season Four Chapter 3 by Kanita - Likes: 50 Comments: 26 Word Count: 5,676 Hit Count: 3,852 Published: June 29, 2019

I borrowed a couple of words from “Hush” and “School Hard”, and a line from “Doomed.” There is also a quote used from the movie Jurassic Park.

9. Part II: Season Four Chapter 4 by Kanita - Likes: 45 Comments: 22 Word Count: 5,940 Hit Count: 3,808 Published: July 13, 2019

Spike quotes "Sonnet 116" by Shakespeare. Buffy quotes Spike from "Fool for Love", and Willow in "The Harsh Light of Day."

A/N: RL made it hard to keep up with comment replies again. They still really mean a lot to me... and I will get there!! My goal is to catch up this week. You guys continue to be completely awesome, and so supportive of this little story of mine! I hope you enjoy this chapter! Let me know what you think! biggrin

10. Part II: Season Four Chapter 5 by Kanita - Likes: 51 Comments: 24 Word Count: 5,761 Hit Count: 3,531 Published: July 27, 2019

This chapter borrows a phrase from "Afterlife", "The Gift", and "Lover's Walk."

As always, thanks for reading! I hope you guys enjoy!!

11. Part II: Season Four Chapter 6 by Kanita - Likes: 44 Comments: 18 Word Count: 5,426 Hit Count: 3,268 Published: August 11, 2019

Buffy borrows one line from Riley in "Doomed." I also borrowed one of Willow's phrases from "Hush."

A/N: I'm really sorry for the late posting. For some reason the final edits on this chapter happened at a truly glacial pace. I honestly felt like I was being repeatedly lapped by a sloth! The good news is that I'm done now!! Thanks so much for your continued love and support of this fic! Your likes and comments make losing to a sloth worth it! Hope you enjoy!

12. Part II: Season Four Chapter 7 by Kanita - Likes: 46 Comments: 22 Word Count: 6,102 Hit Count: 3,241 Published: August 24, 2019

A lot of dialogue borrowed from "Doomed." One line borrowed from "School Hard" and "A New Man." Clem borrows a couple phrases from himself in "Empty Places." Spike quotes one line from Shakespeare's Henry V.

A/N: I'm all caught up with comments from the last chapter... even the one I accidently deleted tonight (still sorry!!). Now that I seem to be keeping myself current I plan to try responding to the other 96 from earlier chapters, because no comment deserves to go unresponded!! I continue to be very blessed by this community and your support for this story! I'm especially grateful to those of you who have taken the time to like and comment! But I appreciate everyone who has been reading! Thanks, guys!!

13. Part II: Season Four Chapter 8 by Kanita - Likes: 41 Comments: 18 Word Count: 5,746 Hit Count: 3,121 Published: September 07, 2019

Some phrases borrowed from "This Year's Girl" and "Who are You."

A/N: I did a read through of this story for continuity purposes and ended up fixing a handful of small typos, etc., in case anyone notices. Otherwise, it's business as usual! Thanks so much for reading! I'm also grateful for all of you who take the time to like and comment! hug

14. Part II: Season Four Chapter 9 by Kanita - Likes: 46 Comments: 18 Word Count: 6,077 Hit Count: 2,950 Published: September 21, 2019

Spike quotes a line from himself in "End of Days" and "Wrecked." Buffy borrows a couple of phrases from herself in "Who are You." Some dialogue borrowed from "The Yoko Factor", and the Angel episodes "Judgment", "I Will Remember You", and "Sanctuary." Lyrics are from the song "You're the One that I Want" from the musical Grease.

Thanks for reading!! I continue to be so grateful for this community... and especially those who take the time to like and comment on this story!

15. Part II: Season Four Chapter 10 by Kanita - Likes: 42 Comments: 24 Word Count: 5,551 Hit Count: 2,892 Published: October 06, 2019

Some dialogue borrowed from "Superstar" and "I Was Made to Love You." A couple of phrases borrowed from "The Body." Xander borrows a famous line from the A-Team. Spike and Giles quote Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

A/N: Sorry for the late update!! Happy Reading!! 

16. Part II: Season Four Chapter 11 by Kanita - Likes: 39 Comments: 21 Word Count: 5,153 Hit Count: 2,831 Published: October 20, 2019

Buffy and Spike quote themselves from "No Place Like Home." The plot referenced from Passions came from the episode that originally aired on 9/28/00.

A/N: Sorry for another late update- and a slightly shorter one at that! Still, I hope you enjoy. I've got two challenge responses included this time for your reading pleasure! This is also the last chapter of Part II. Please let me know what you think! I continue to greatly value your comments and likes!!  

17. Part III: Season Five Chapter 1 by Kanita - Likes: 40 Comments: 22 Word Count: 5,122 Hit Count: 3,101 Published: November 02, 2019

A lot of dialogue borrowed from "Buffy vs. Dracula." Spike quotes a couple of stanzas from Burn's poem "A Poet's Welcome To His Love-Begotten Daughter" and quotes himself from "Touched."

A/N: It has been a busy couple of weeks for me, so I was not able to reply to any comments this time. I do plan to make up for that ASAP as they are very important to me! Thanks for reading... let me know what you think!

18. Part III: Season Five Chapter 2 by Kanita - Likes: 44 Comments: 19 Word Count: 5,255 Hit Count: 2,673 Published: November 16, 2019

Some dialogue borrowed from "The Replacement", and a couple of lines borrowed from "No Place Like Home." Buffy quotes Spike in "The Gift." Spike quotes a couple of lines from Tennyson's poem "The Charge of the Light Brigade", and one from Williams' "The Red Wheelbarrow."

A/N: I wanted to start by offering a very special thank you to the person (or persons!) who has nominated me for author of the month off and on since I started posting this story. I hadn't figured out what the etiquette for acknowledging that kind of thing was like on this site, but since a couple of people have posted about this in the shoutbox recently I figured I should be able to write something here... somewhat belatedly! I've actually still got all the e-mails in my inbox, and I can't describe how much it means to know that at least one person out there thinks that what I'm writing compares to those who have actually won the honor! So, thanks! I also continue to be so grateful to all of you who read, comment, and/or like this story! blush

And now on to the latest chapter... I hope y'all enjoy!

19. Part III: Season Five Chapter 3 by Kanita - Likes: 35 Comments: 16 Word Count: 5,245 Hit Count: 2,580 Published: December 01, 2019

Some dialogue borrowed from "No Place Like Home","Fool For Love", and "Shadow." Anya borrows some phrases from herself in "The Body." Spike quotes two lines from Blake's "The Lamb", and references COPS episodes that aired from August to November of 2000.

A/N: Sorry for another late update! Thanks to everyone who is continuing to read, like, and comment on this story! I'm also planning to catch up on recent comments again this week... sorry for being a slacker! Hope you guys enjoy!!

20. Part III: Season Five Chapter 4 by Kanita - Likes: 40 Comments: 20 Word Count: 5,445 Hit Count: 2,515 Published: December 14, 2019

Some dialogue borrowed from "Shadow" and "Checkpoint." Spike borrows a phrase from himself in "Touched." Both Spike and Giles quote Hamlet

A/N: This will be my last post of the year. Between the upcoming holidays and all the muse-wrangling I've been doing lately, it seemed like a good time to take a short break. I'm planning to pick things up again in January. If I haven't posted something by the middle of next month feel free to get out the pointy sticks! That said, I hope everyone has a happy holiday season! And as always, thanks to everyone who reads, likes, and comments on this story! I appreciate all of you more than you know! heart

21. Part III: Season Five Chapter 5 by Kanita - Likes: 43 Comments: 22 Word Count: 6,101 Hit Count: 2,345 Published: January 23, 2020

A lot of dialogue from "Checkpoint", and Amy borrows a couple of phrases from herself in "The Killer in Me."

A/N: I'm back!! Sorry for a longer than expected break. I should be back to a regular posting schedule from here on out, though I'm going to be posting every three weeks instead of every other. Unfortunately, my holidays were not very writing productive and I now have more writing than editing left to do. If I can ever finish the writing part I promise to start posting more often!

I continue to very much appreciate all of you who read, comment, and like this story of mine! And I also want to say a very special thank you to the wonderful person(s) who nominated me again for author of the month earlier in January! flowers

Happy reading!!

22. Part III: Season Five Chapter 6 by Kanita - Likes: 37 Comments: 15 Word Count: 5,352 Hit Count: 2,238 Published: March 13, 2020

 Spike borrows a line from himself in "Crush" and "Checkpoint."

A/N: It's still technically Friday somewhere, right? I am so sorry for the long breaks in between my last couple of posts! I wish I could promise that I'm back on track again, but the day job is in healthcare... which is obviously complicated at the moment. But, despite that, I'm going to try my best to stick to my new goal of posting every three weeks. I also haven't had time to respond to the lovely comments from my last chapter yet, but know that I greatly appreciate each and every one and plan to tackle that this week! As always, thanks to everyone who reads, likes, and comments on this story of mine! I hope y'all enjoy this latest chapter!! 

23. Part III: Season Five Chapter 7 by Kanita - Likes: 37 Comments: 24 Word Count: 5,873 Hit Count: 2,181 Published: April 26, 2020

Some words and phrases borrowed from "Blood Ties." Ben quotes himself from "Spiral." Spike quotes John 15:13 (KJV), gives a twist on a quote from The Wizard of Oz, and quotes Bugs Bunny. There are also a couple of references to Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

A/N: I am once again so sorry about how late this update is! My muse decided to self-quarantine from me for more than 14 days instead of writing Death of an Intern. I can promise that the next update will be within the three week mark I'm aiming for because it is basically in the editing stage now! So... there's that! I'm so grateful to everyone who has stuck with this story despite my recent long breaks between posts! I also hope that you guys enjoy this chapter! Even if you don't feel free to let me know... I'm curious about what y'all think about how it all turned out! I do appreciate all of you who read, like, and comment! Thanks for being wonderful!!

24. Part III: Season Five Chapter 8 by Kanita - Likes: 36 Comments: 16 Word Count: 5,975 Hit Count: 2,176 Published: May 17, 2020

Spike was feeling pretty poetic during this chapter. He quotes a couple of lines from Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet, four stanzas from the poem "At the San Francisco Airport", three lines from "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening", and two lines from "Do not go gentle into that good night." Some lines also borrowed from "Crush" and a couple from "Fool for Love." Some of Dru's words were taken and repurposed from the children's songs "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" and "Ring Around the Rosie."

A/N: So, I'm behind on responding to comments again... but I promise to catch up very soon! I was definitely happy that you guys liked what I did with Ben in the last chapter! Y'all are the greatest!! Thanks for continuing to read, like, and comment!! I also hope everyone is staying safe out there as some places start opening back up! heart

25. Part III: Season Five Chapter 9 by Kanita - Likes: 33 Comments: 20 Word Count: 6,690 Hit Count: 1,932 Published: November 08, 2020

A lot of dialogue was taken or modified from “I was Made to Love You." Xander borrows a phrase from Anya in “All the Way.” Anya quotes herself in “Tough Love”, “Spiral”, and “The Gift.” Spike uses a modified line from Giles in “Spiral” and quotes a line from Much Ado About Nothing. Buffy quotes Hamlet and Macbeth.

A/N: So, yeah. It has taken WAY too long to update this story. Life and 2020 happened, writing did not. Thankfully my work schedule is finally back to normal, so that should help... though I can't make any promises about when the next update will be ready to post. On the plus side, Buffy ended up being much more talkative than I'd originally planned, so I decided to break this chapter into two. This means that I've already got parts of the next one written. I remain beyond grateful to all you who have read, liked, and/or commented on this story!! Hope you guys enjoy this new chapter!! hug

26. Part III: Season Five Chapter 10 by Kanita - Likes: 29 Comments: 13 Word Count: 7,724 Hit Count: 2,199 Published: February 07, 2021

A lot of dialogue borrowed from "I Was Made to Love You" again. Buffy quotes Spike from "Touched."

A/N: I got a little derailed by the holidays and some unexpected outline shuffling, but I have a good feeling about updates in 2021! I'm so grateful to all of you who have stuck with me, despite the long break my muse wanted to take last year! I'm also still very appreciative of everyone who reads, likes, and comments on this story! You guys are the best!!

27. Part IV: Seasons Six and Seven Chapter 1 by Kanita - Likes: 22 Comments: 16 Word Count: 6,503 Hit Count: 1,756 Published: October 10, 2021

The Man U game Giles and Spike watch aired on Aug. 19th, 2001. Man U ended up beating Fulham 3-2, in case anyone was wondering. Spike quotes Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing, and Anya and Xander borrow some actions and words from themselves in "The Gift."

A/N: My apologies for dropping off the face of the earth for months again. I was nearly done with this chapter when my beloved 12-year-old chocolate lab crossed the rainbow bridge. Then, just as I was starting to recover from that loss, Covid-19 numbers at my hospital spiked again... worse than before. To make a long story short, this summer really sucked and writing Spuffy was not something I was capable of doing until very recently. Things at work have finally settled down again and I'm crossing my fingers that my muse will stick around, but I can't make any promises about when the next chapter will be ready to post.

On the bright side, I'm still in awe that this story was featured a couple of months ago and am very much in love with my ribbon... even if it is not as shiny and new as it used to be. This community is still the best and I'm so grateful for each of you who reads, likes, and comments. Hope you guys enjoy this fluff ball of a chapter!

28. Part IV: Seasons Six and Seven Chapter 2 by Kanita - Likes: 25 Comments: 18 Word Count: 5,950 Hit Count: 1,335 Published: January 14, 2023

Spike quotes Much Ado About Nothing twice and I've borrowed bits and pieces of dialogue from the episodes "Help" and "Potential." Buffy and Spike briefly discuss their mutually abusive past, and there is also a very slight giant brooding forehead warning for this chapter.

A/N: Hi! I hope y'all still remember me and this story after my unintentionally long hiatus. I honestly can't believe that it has been more than a year since I've updated, and I am so sorry that it has taken me this long to post again! The good news is that life and the muse are continuing to play nice, which bodes well for much faster future updates! It feels crazy to say, but things almost seem normal again... in a way I haven't experienced since March of 2020. Here's hoping it sticks! At any rate, I really hope you guys enjoy this chapter! Thanks for sticking with me!! heart

29. Part IV: Seasons Six and Seven Chapter 3 by Kanita - Likes: 23 Comments: 14 Word Count: 6,256 Hit Count: 1,120 Published: May 28, 2023

Bits and pieces of dialogue were taken from "All the Way", "Doublemeat Palace", and "Smashed."

A/N: Hi! I'm back again! And planning on updating at least once a month from here on out... until this story is fully posted. There should be two more chapters after this and an epilogue (that I've had written for years!), so we are almost there!! squee

I continue to be so amazed and grateful for the support this community has provided, despite my often unintentionally long absences. You guys are the best and I still appreciate everyone who reads, likes, and comments on this story! Hope y'all enjoy! heart

30. Part IV: Seasons Six and Seven Chapter 4 by Kanita - Likes: 23 Comments: 12 Word Count: 6,500 Hit Count: 980 Published: June 24, 2023

There are a couple of lines are borrowed from "After Life", "Wrecked", and "All the Way." Spike quotes Herrick, Whitman, and Yeats, part of 1 Cor. 13:12, and the movies Dead Poets SocietyThe Return of the King, and Frozen 2. Cassie quotes The Fellowship of the Ring. There is a Giant Brooding Forehead Warning in effect, though I tried to get through my fixes for Angel as quickly and painlessly as I could! 

Hope you guys like this one! Only one more chapter and an epilogue left!! yay

31. Part IV: Seasons Six and Seven Chapter 5 by Kanita - Likes: 21 Comments: 14 Word Count: 8,364 Hit Count: 848 Published: August 05, 2023

Dialogue borrowed or adapted from "Intervention", "Touched", "Storyteller", "Help", "Dirty Girls", "Chosen", and "Shadow." Spike quotes Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Hamlet, Robert Frost, Richard II, and Wandavision. Cassie quotes Tolkien. There's also a very brief Giant Brooding Forehead Warning for the very end of the chapter. Sorry.

I also need to mention that there is a character death here. It is one that occurred in canon, but I still did my best to make it as quick and painless as possible for her and hopefully for all of you. I waffled for a long time about whether or not to go through with it, but this felt like what needed to happen for a variety of reasons. I could write that essay here, but I won't. However, I'm happy to discuss all of that in more detail in the comments or private messages if anyone is interested. For anyone this would be triggering for, stop reading after the section on Robin Woods and jump back in after Cassie's letter (which is italicized). You will miss my final challenge response, but you can skip all that and still have what you need to finish the chapter. hug

A/N: And here it is!! The final chapter! I'm a little nervous about this one, but hope you guys enjoy! Please let me know what you think!! heart

32. Epilogue: Rome, May 2004 by Kanita - Likes: 35 Comments: 22 Word Count: 3,408 Hit Count: 844 Published: August 30, 2023

Buffy quotes Spike from "Pangs" and "Something Blue." There is also a Human!Spike warning for the very end. 

A/N: Well, here we are! It has taken more time than I anticipated when I first started posting this story back in 2019, but I am thrilled to finally be able to check this one as complete!! I still can't believe how much love and engagement this fic has generated and there really are no words to express how grateful I am to all of you for coming on this time travel fix-it journey with me! I hope y'all enjoy the ending!! flowers