Summary:

(Somewhere Between “Doublemeat Palace” and “As You Were”)

Buffy is in pain.  Spike is in denial.
Dionysus is watching.  So is Apollo.
Everything is about to come to a head.
Which way will the coin flip for our Slayer, and our vampire?
Honestly, both would be good.

Beta and Sensitivity Readers: None
Artists: None
Series: Buffy and the Olympians
Categories: Season 6, Alternate Reality, Episode Rewrite, Challenge Response
Characters: Buffy, Other, Riley Finn, Spike
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fix-It, HEA/HFN, Hurt/Comfort, Resurrection, Romance, Under Magical Influence
Warnings: Adult Language, Mental Health Issues
Event: Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2021
Completed: Yes Chapters: 1
Word count: 14,616 Hit Count: 949 ePub Downloads: 35
Published: December 24, 2021 Updated: December 24, 2021


Print or Download Story: Printer Microsoft Word ePub eBook

Story Notes: It is part of the Dionysus mythos that He cannot become the God without His maenads calling Him into being… and we cannot find ecstasy in madness and forgetfulness until we bring Him forth.  The relationship is very mutual, interconnected, and must acknowledge both sides of the coin; the light and the dark.  Which makes Him very interesting when applied to our two MCs.

Formatting Note:
  For anyone who’s never read me before, I do a weird thing.  Or, at least, it’s weird nowadays.  I use an old fanfic convention from long ago because I'm ancient, and we didn't used to have access to italics in the days when I used to fic. Can't break the habit now, I'm just too old and it looks weird for me without it. Character thoughts look like this in my stories:   /Blah blah blah./

Disclaimer:  All characters property He Who Will Not Be Named, but also a lot of other amazing writers, artists, et al who get equal credit, up to and including the BRILLIANT actors who brought them to life, and with whom we work in glorious tandem to make these stories blossom.  (And, I guess, Mutant Enemy.  And apparently some people at, I guess, Fox, now?  Who can even keep track anymore.)  All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners, yadda and blah. (OCs if any are MINE, ALL MINE!)  I am in no way associated with The Flawed One, Mutant Enemy, UPN, Fox, or any other media franchise.  I intend no infringement.  I intend sexy shenanigans and JUSTICE FOR SPUFFY!

Oh. And the Greek Gods? I belong to them, or at least a great number of them.

Pairing(s):  Um, Spuffy.  Always, Spuffy is endgame.  Also all other canon pairings through S6.

Rating:  PG-13

Author’s Note / Dedication:  This one’s an Elysian Fields 2021 Secret Santa gift for Incendie.
I remember you liked my other entry with the Greek Gods in it, and I had already threatened to write this one.  It seemed to fit the requested season, while possibly allowing me to keep it less angsty, in that many would consider it a fantasy.  I'd hoped that it would not require me to delve as deeply into the fault-lines of S6 as much as I’d usually feel was necessary.  To inject some romance, if not as fluffy as I'd hoped.  (I did try.) 

This one can be read on two levels, one of them being a meditation on S6 Spuffy, the other a more philosophical meandering.  My hopes were that, in combination, they would lead to a better outcome for our babies!  It grew into its own thing, but I still hope you enjoy your gift, Incendie!!!

Special Thanks To:
  My Lord Dionysos, who has always been mine, as I have ever been His.  And, to the God Apollo, who has wanted to get His hooks into me for years so I can study that other side of the coin.  Someday I’ll have to freaking give in.  Dammit.  

1. The Great Debate by Touchstoneaf - Likes: 18 Comments: 10 Word Count: 14,616 Hit Count: 949 Published: December 24, 2021

This can be read as part two of a series, since I've already done one with the Greek Gods.  Thus, I've put it into a series called "Buffy and the Olympians"... but it's totally unnecessary to have read the other fic in the series to understand this one.  They are two unrelated supposals connected only by the fact that the Greek Gods are deeply involved in the outcome for our two lovable dunderheads.

This one might not be for everybody, for a couple of reasons. I tried to angle this toward less angst and more romance, while still remaining true to where the characters are in that time... but it was tough, because Season 6.  I did my best to at least land on the latter. For the other, there're some concepts in here that won't be familiar to some people, as I relate them to our favorite duo.

I indicate POV-changes with Buffy and Spike's emojis at the beginning of each section.  And the scenes including the Gods, I'll mark with a big, bold X.  

Oh.  Dialogue in here pirated from "Into the Woods", "The Gift", "Dead Things", and "As You Were".

Note: Dionysos and Dionysus are equally acceptable spellings for the Lord of the Winding Ivy.  I use them interchangeably in this story, among other epithets.