Summary:
Response to a challenge set by emilise: Spike never came to Sunnydale during the first few seasons. The first time Buffy sees him is during The Harsh Light of Day, sunbathing on campus adorned with the Gem of Amara. Oh no, she thinks, the pit of her stomach dropping and sending tinglies all over, he's hot. They start dating, Buffy unaware that her new boyfriend is a member of the undead. Of course, she has to find out eventually...
Beta and Sensitivity Readers: None
Artists: None
Categories: Season 4, Challenge Response
Characters: Buffy, Spike, Willow
Genres: Angst, Fluffy/Comedy, Lighthearted, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Challenges: Author’s Choice
Completed: Yes Chapters: 9
Word count: 21,582 Hit Count: 19,333 ePub Downloads: 208
Published: February 21, 2019 Updated: April 18, 2019


Print or Download Story: Printer Microsoft Word ePub eBook

View All Chapters

Story Notes: So when I saw this challenge, I loved it IMMEDIATELY and very quickly became inspired with a plotline and absolutely could not stop myself from writing it, so here it is! It will not be a long fic, but it will be a really sweet and fluffy one with tons of cuteness and only some angst. Other particulars for the challenge:
MUST HAVE:
  • Spike/Buffy dating when Buffy doesn't know he's a vampire
  • The eventual discovery of his vampirism
CAN HAVE:
  • Spike freckles
  • (supportive!)Willow/Tara, Xander/Anya
  • Spike coming to town in hunt of the Slayer but not knowing Buffy is the Slayer, leading to a run-around (Spike seeks out Slayer, Buffy searches for the town's new Big Bad)
  • Claim, bond, etc
CANNOT HAVE:
  • Chipped Spike
  • Character bashing
  • Spike/other, Buffy/other (beyond brief mentions of past relationships)
Hopefully I did this idea justice and that people like it! I will try and update at least a chapter weekly but it depends on my beta and the time I have (I am in my last semester of undergrad). Be comforted in knowing, though, that the whole thing is written so I should be able to stay on schedule. And yes, I got the title from the song "Golden Hour" by Kacey Musgraves and a few chapters in, you'll understand why :)
 
Banner made by the lovely fancyflautist!!!!
 
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. Chapter 1 by kennedynoelle - Likes: 46 Comments: 21 Word Count: 2,296 Hit Count: 4,178 Published: February 21, 2019

Beta'd by the wonderful Lola, burningveins on here and faithlehans on Twitterheart. I hope you all enjoy this first chapter!

2. Chapter 2 by kennedynoelle - Likes: 33 Comments: 16 Word Count: 2,688 Hit Count: 2,068 Published: February 27, 2019

If you like soft Spike, whipped Buffy, and cute Spuffy, don't worry, there's oodles of that in this chapter!! Thanks, Lola, for being a fantastic beta!!

3. Chapter 3 by kennedynoelle - Likes: 31 Comments: 15 Word Count: 2,450 Hit Count: 1,940 Published: March 08, 2019

Hey, everyone. Just want to make some things clear before you start this chapter in case there's any confusion. Spike already has the Gem of Amara and Buffy and Spike are meeting outside during the daytime. Don't worry, Buffy will say something about the Gem in a couple chapters and other questions will be answered or clarified with time. Just trust me. With that said, I hope you enjoy this chapter! Thank you, Lola, for being a great beta!

4. Chapter 4 by kennedynoelle - Likes: 30 Comments: 14 Word Count: 2,502 Hit Count: 1,943 Published: March 14, 2019

This chapter starts to answer some questions and the prelude to some of the action begins here (not that there's really that much action in this story). Also, if you couldn't already tell, this story doesn't follow season 4. Literally disregard all the stuff that should be going on and just assume Buffy is having simple patrols every evening. How lucky for her. With that, I really think you guys will enjoy this chapter ;)

5. Chapter 5 by kennedynoelle - Likes: 32 Comments: 12 Word Count: 2,660 Hit Count: 1,834 Published: March 22, 2019

Mainly a filler chapter but more questions are answered, more Spuffy cuteness ensues, and Spike's freckles make an appearance. Don't worry. Next chapter is a doozy!! I hope you enjoy this one, though!

6. Chapter 6 by kennedynoelle - Likes: 35 Comments: 12 Word Count: 2,929 Hit Count: 1,955 Published: March 28, 2019

Well. Enjoy. :)

7. Chapter 7 by kennedynoelle - Likes: 31 Comments: 13 Word Count: 2,246 Hit Count: 1,852 Published: April 04, 2019

As you can see, the story now has a lovely banner!! Made by the wonderful fancyflautist! Check out her response to the same challenge as this one, Unburied Hearts!!

And now for our couple to talk about their situation. But as we all know, usually it takes a little bit for them to actually talk.

8. Chapter 8 by kennedynoelle - Likes: 27 Comments: 12 Word Count: 2,022 Hit Count: 1,777 Published: April 11, 2019

There's more talking and more working through things. And also a really sweet Spike. Of course.

9. Chapter 9 by kennedynoelle - Likes: 52 Comments: 23 Word Count: 1,789 Hit Count: 1,786 Published: April 18, 2019

And here it is. The last chapter. I hope you like it. Thank you all for reading, for your support, and for your comments.