Past Featured Story
Summary:  When Buffy jumped through Glory's portal, she found herself here, trapped in a pocket dimension between the universes. Now she passes her time working in the diner of a weird truck stop in a place that has no trucks and battling against her new nemesis, a broken frozen yogurt machine, as she fantasizing about rescue and looks for a way home. When someone finally does arrive, things don't exactly go as she'd imagined.
Winner of the Sunnydale Fanfic Club's April Rains contest!
Beta and Sensitivity Readers: None
Artists: None
Categories: Post-Series, Alternate Reality, Award Winners
Characters: Buffy, Other, Spike
Genres: Dramedy, Romance
Warnings: Buffy/Other (Temp)
Completed: Yes Chapters: 2
Word count: 10,059 Hit Count: 3,308 ePub Downloads: 89
Published: May 09, 2018 Updated: May 10, 2018


Print or Download Story: Printer Microsoft Word ePub eBook

View All Chapters

Story Notes: Written for The Sunnydale Fanfic Club's April Fanfic contest. The theme is "April Rain" and the challenge object is "broken yogurt machine". And somehow from there I got this.
My initial version of the story was posted to AO3. I wrote the story in a frantic rush to meet the contest deadline, writing just under 10,000 words in a week. Needless to say this resulted in a fair number of errors and just stuff that could have been a little sharper or prettier. I am still blown away that I wound up winning the contest!
So many thanks to GillO for offering to beta, her feedback has been invaluable in producing the revised draft that I am now uploading here! Any remaining errors are, of course, all my own. Additional thanks to OffYourBird for creating a beautiful banner.
And thanks to the folks at the Sunnydale Fanfic Club for hosting this contest and giving me the inspiration to write this story. Check out their podcast if you haven't already, it's awesome! I am going to be joining them for their next episode, which will be recorded at Whedoncon in LA!
P.S. The Buffy/Other warning is for a brief relationship between Buffy and the Groosalugg from AtS. I swear it makes at least some sense in context. The relationship is only discussed briefly and in retrospect, it's already over by the time the story starts. Also, while Groo is from AtS, I tried to give any important knowlege about his character in the story itself. There are some easter eggs for people who have watched Angel, but don't worry if you haven't.
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. Where I Want to Be by thewiggins - Likes: 19 Comments: 10 Word Count: 4,562 Hit Count: 1,944 Published: May 09, 2018

 Chapter titles come from the Talking Heads song "This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)".

Update (7/31/18): Just noticed my story on the featured list! How exciting! If I'm honest, I don't actually know how that decision is made, but to whoever made it, thank you! I'm very flattered.

Also thank you to all the people who left lovely reviews or otherwise showed support for this story. I wasn't sure how people would take this strange little fic, but I get the impression that overall people liked it pretty well. That said, never be afraid to let me know what doesn't work for you as well as what does. I welcome all types of feedback, always.

2. Lift Me Up and Turn me 'Round by thewiggins - Likes: 50 Comments: 27 Word Count: 5,497 Hit Count: 1,364 Published: May 09, 2018