Please log in or register to comment.
sister cuervo commented on “The Great Face-Off” on June 21, 2020 12:10pm Liked

What a delight!

Author's Response on June 28, 2020 04:33pm

Thank you so very much for reading and commenting!

[Report This]
Meavepagan commented on “The Great Face-Off” on May 20, 2020 11:20am Liked

 Oh my.  I simply LOVED it.

Author's Response on May 22, 2020 01:09am

Thank you so very much!!!  So glad you enjoyed!!!

[Report This]
_3xy_ commented on “The Great Face-Off” on May 18, 2020 04:23am

This was such a fun read! I especially liked that it's from Tara's POV. Thank you.

Author's Response on May 22, 2020 01:13am

Thank you so very much.  I especially have to say I'm grateful that you enjoyed it.  I read one of your fics and it hit me so hard that I'm still sitting here trying to figure out how to give you feedback on it about two months later.  It HAUNTS me... to the level that I cannot even think about it without being too emotional to survive it; to the level that I had to write a comfort-fic in my head to sleep that night, because OMG it can't end that way (a fixit that heavily features Tara, btw), because I just can't cope with it, it's so well done (Trusting The Enemy)... in any case, that you enjoyed a story of mine is a big deal to me, and I probably should have written this in, you know, the comments for YOUR story, but... well...  Anyway... THANK you.

_3xy_ Replied on May 22, 2020 07:03pm

Wow, I did not expect this kind of reply to my comment at all. It really made my day! Writing angst (and porn, ha) has never been one of my strong suits so this means a lot to me. Although I'm sorry that it made you feel that way!

I took a very long break from reading and writing Spuffy fan fic so I started with one-shots and new stories, but I look forward to reading more of your work!

[Report This]
Priceless commented on “The Great Face-Off” on May 13, 2020 03:53pm Liked

Really enjoyed this. Poor Tara, I hope her readings went ok

Author's Response on May 22, 2020 01:15am

Thank you so much!  Glad you liked it!
I'm sure they did, she has the Gods on her side.  I will not have it that Tara has anything bad ever happen to her (I'm still in denial about canon) for she is my other wife.

LOVE that girl.  So fun to write her POV!
Thank you again!

[Report This]
Blackoberst commented on “The Great Face-Off” on May 07, 2020 06:32am Liked

 I really enjoyed this but of reality TV the Olympian gods cooked up. 

Author's Response on May 08, 2020 02:15am

Thank you so much for the read, and the feedback!

[Report This]
davidf89 commented on “The Great Face-Off” on April 26, 2020 05:31am

I liked how you wrote the Greek gods taking an interest in the relationship between Buffy and Spike in this cool story.

Author's Response on April 26, 2020 11:48pm

Thank you so very much for reading this one too, and for commenting!

[Report This]
Dontia commented on “The Great Face-Off” on April 25, 2020 10:31pm Liked

 Exquisitely done.

Author's Response on April 26, 2020 11:49pm

Thank you so very much!!

[Report This]
Green commented on “The Great Face-Off” on April 25, 2020 10:14pm Liked

That was fun. I can just see all the Scoobies standing around watching Buffy and Spike with their mouths hanging open. 💚

Author's Response on April 26, 2020 11:50pm

Aw, thank you!
LOL, that's kind of what I figured they'd look like!  
I mean, once something like this is happening, with clearly otherworldly intervention, all you can do is gape, hehe.

And enjoy the show!
Thanks again!

[Report This]
talesofstories commented on “The Great Face-Off” on April 25, 2020 04:39pm Liked

You took this story in a direction I was not expecting, and I love it. I love all the gods being so invested in these two; you just know that before Hera got invested and did her interfering, there were bets going on as to whether Spike and Buffy would ever get their heads out of their asses. And I love Tara, the entire time, knowing exactly what is happening, having a fairly good idea who is meddling, and not wanting to be involved but also not being able to say anything because she knows that none of the others will believe her that Spike has feelings for Buffy and that Riley might be a fine, upstanding soldier but his little soldier is not doing the work he's been charged with. And I frankly adore how childish all Spike and Buffy's sniping is. I hate to give any credence to that bullshit "boys pull the hair of the girls they like" nonsense because it just makes girls at a young age in charge of managing and dealing with boys' emotions, but damn, if Spike is not a boy pulling the pigtails of the girl he likes. Luckily, Buffy gives it right back to him rather than putting up with it.

Author's Response on April 27, 2020 12:05am

>>You took this story in a direction I was not expecting, and I love it.>>

you can honestly blame Twinkles for that.  She randomly threw "a peacock" in the challenge requirements... and thus the Gods' involvement was born.

>>I love all the gods being so invested in these two; you just know that before Hera got invested and did her interfering, there were bets going on as to whether Spike and Buffy would ever get their heads out of their asses.>>

YOU KNOW IT.

>>And I love Tara, the entire time, knowing exactly what is happening, having a fairly good idea who is meddling, and not wanting to be involved but also not being able to say anything because she knows that none of the others will believe her that Spike has feelings for Buffy>>

yes, that. 
TBF, I really feel Tara in that part, and in general, for her background, and I guess I echoed my own upbringing in her, because after I saw Family the first time I was like, OH, I GET YOU GIRL.  I was raised by a total wannabe Aryan Nation militia bomb shelter 'they're gonna come for our guns' guy.  It was scary, bigoted shit, and you learn fast not to gainsay anything racists say.  Even if you love them and they love you and it's a totally different environment... if you've been verbally and emotionally (if not physically) abused by bigots, EVER... you do not, under any circumstances, take that chance again, at least till you're like forty, because you have panic attacks even thinking about it.  And if you've already been cast out, and your new chosen family is all you have left... there is NO way you're gonna risk that.  So, no.  That's the only reason I could think of why Tara never spoke up, even though I know she saw the real thing and read their auras and knew exactly what was going on the entire time.
And probably that was TMI, but that's what informs my understanding of that girl.

>>and and that Riley might be a fine, upstanding soldier but his little soldier is not doing the work he's been charged with>>

BWAHAHAHAHAAAA!

>>And I frankly adore how childish all Spike and Buffy's sniping is. I hate to give any credence to that bullshit "boys pull the hair of the girls they like" nonsense because it just makes girls at a young age in charge of managing and dealing with boys' emotions, but damn, if Spike is not a boy pulling the pigtails of the girl he likes.>>

I one hundred percent agree with you on that policy on most days.  It is not okay and unacceptable and should be stopped on the schoolyard... and, on the show, till he learned a different way to talk to her (slowly but surely, because he was literally growing up from a child before their eyes when it came to how to interact with humans), Spike absolutely did this.  Stupid dork.

>>Luckily, Buffy gives it right back to him rather than putting up with it.>>

Yes, she did.  Because she rolled right around in that mud with him.  They were such children, and it CRACKS ME UP.

Because they were OBVIOUSLY into each other and so hated it and the were just absolutely ten year olds about it and it's so dumb.  *waps them*

ugh.  They needed help.
*shakes head*

Thank you so much for the feedback... AND THE INSPIRATION!!!!  
Amazing how popular fluff is.

talesofstories Replied on April 27, 2020 11:21pm

Amazing how popular fluff is.

I feel like the only thing keeping me upbeat in all of this is the fluff, so I fully support all the support this fluffy piece is getting.

Also, I am so incredibly for where and how you were raised. That is awful, and no one should have to deal with it, and I know my words aren't much but I just want to go back in time and rescue little you from all of that because it's terrible. I'm so glad you're away from that now. I'm so glad that instead you're here, dissecting Buffy characters and swooning over Spike and Buffy with us.

I have so much sympathy for Tara. She had been through the ringer prior to meeting the Scoobies, and then she was just kind of thrown in over her head. She deserved love and care and attention, and unfortunately, there wasn't nearly enough of that available. (I'm now really wishing that in season 4 she had been introduced to Joyce. Those two would have gotten along so well.) And I hate that she lost her home in season 6 because of Willow's actions and that she then died, because Tara deserved the world.

And thank you for writing such a delightful fic! I'm so glad I could provide some inspiration for it.

Author's Response on May 22, 2020 01:20am

For some reason I didn't get a notification for this.  I seldom do for replies to replies, dunno why.

>>I feel like the only thing keeping me upbeat in all of this is the fluff, so I fully support all the support this fluffy piece is getting.>>

i mean, these days... yeah.  Honestly, i've probably written more fluff in the last few weeks than in my entire life, and avoided the hell out of my Checkpoint rewrite as long as I possibly could, so... yeah.

>>Also, I am so incredibly for where and how you were raised. That is awful, and no one should have to deal with it, and I know my words aren't much but I just want to go back in time and rescue little you from all of that because it's terrible. I'm so glad you're away from that now. I'm so glad that instead you're here, dissecting Buffy characters and swooning over Spike and Buffy with us.>>

I really appreciate that, but you know.  Always someone who had it worse, blahdda...  In a way, it was good, because it taught me everything I need to know about what not to be, etc, and gave me a mission.  And, you know, the world is full of counselors for a reason, heh.  (Which, obviously, narrative therapy and recognition of all the PTSD in characters, and OMG those people that are your people in stories, and PLEASE GET THEM THERAPISTS! lol)

>>I have so much sympathy for Tara. She had been through the ringer prior to meeting the Scoobies, and then she was just kind of thrown in over her head.>>

RIGHT?  with people who were kind of not ready for her/inept for her level of PTSD, sadly.
good thing she was strong AF.  
People who don't like/adore/admire that character absolutely dumbfound me.

>>She deserved love and care and attention, and unfortunately, there wasn't nearly enough of that available. (I'm now really wishing that in season 4 she had been introduced to Joyce. Those two would have gotten along so well.)>>

YASSS

>>And I hate that she lost her home in season 6 because of Willow's actions and that she then died, because Tara deserved the world.>>

SHE IS MY OTHER WIFE.  
AND WILLOW SO SHOULDA BEEN THE ONE TO MOVE THE F OUT, OMG DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED

>>And thank you for writing such a delightful fic! I'm so glad I could provide some inspiration for it.>>

thank you so much for inspiring it!!!  It was so much fun to write!

[Report This]
daria22 commented on “The Great Face-Off” on April 25, 2020 03:47pm

I adore Greek mythology. This little fic was the real present for me ♥♥♥♥♥ 

Author's Response on April 26, 2020 11:52pm

SO DO I!!!  I'm part of a group of pagans who do a lot of Greek pantheon work, so this was a little spiritual for me to write something like this, and a lot of fun to boot.  I specifically enjoyed writing Hera and Zeus not as an unhappy marriage but just as a couple like Buffy and Spike who play games and snipe at each other but who do deeply love each other.  It's a big deal for me.  I hate how they're portrayed in most literature.  And the difference between Ares and Athena's foci when it comes to battle, their reasons for it...  (And I just love playing with Artemis and Hermes, lol)...

So glad you enjoyed.  Thank you for commenting!!!

[Report This]
incendie commented on “The Great Face-Off” on April 25, 2020 12:07pm Liked

I absolutely adore Mythology, especially with the Greek Gods. Mix it with Spuffy, PERFECT!

Author's Response on April 26, 2020 11:53pm

I'm so glad you enjoyed it!  I adore mythology as well, and specifically I'm part of a group of pagans who do a lot of Greek pantheon work, so this was a little spiritual for me to write something like this, and a lot of fun to boot.  I specifically enjoyed writing Hera and Zeus not as an unhappy marriage but just as a couple like Buffy and Spike who play games and snipe at each other but who do deeply love each other.  It's a big deal for me.  I hate how they're portrayed in most literature.  And the difference between Ares and Athena's foci when it comes to battle, their reasons for it...  (And I just love playing with Artemis and Hermes, lol)...

I'm glad you enjoyed it, and the Spuffy as well.

Thank you very much for commenting!

incendie Replied on April 27, 2020 10:47am

I am with you, I am all for Zeus and Hera being a snarky couple but I hate how they are written most of the time. I am a big fan of Hades and Persephone as well. Though I will admit my favorite is Athena. I am having her owl tattooed on my leg. I think people don't get that Athena is the goddess of battle strategy more than war. War was Ares' job. But you know all this. I am rambling. Again, love the story!!

[Report This]
All4Spike commented on “The Great Face-Off” on April 25, 2020 11:44am Liked

That was great!

I love Tara sensing Buffy & Spike's feelings... and spotting the effects caused by the Gods' tokens.

 

Author's Response on April 26, 2020 11:54pm

Oh, wow; I really appreciate a comment from you!  Thank you so much for reading!
I very much appreciate the kind feedback!

[Report This]
magnus374 commented on “The Great Face-Off” on April 25, 2020 11:37am

Who are you and what have you done with the real Touchstoneaf🤔 This was a one shot,  the chapter was way shorter than they tend to be and there was no death, torture or angst, you must be a fake😀 

Seriously, I did like this lighter piece. I liked the gods involvement, how they watched this and claimed different aspects of our pair as  meaning they belonged to them. I liked how we could see more tokens being placed and the interaction we could see among the gods themself was enjoyable.

It was great to see things through Tara's view, her ability to read an aura would make her more likely to notice things. Also good for her to have a possibility for an income.  Hopefully that works out well for her. 

Author's Response on April 27, 2020 12:10am

>>Who are you and what have you done with the real Touchstoneaf🤔 This was a one shot,  the chapter was way shorter than they tend to be and there was no death, torture or angst, you must be a fake>>

BWAAAAHAHAHAHAH!!!

I mean, i kinda feel like a fake.  
At least with the Spuffy, anyway.  The Greek Gods part is definitely me.  I'm a devout pagan, if lately a bit agnostic, still very much so from a social and cultural perspective, but as to the Spuffy...  LOL, I almost felt embarrassed to post this, like they didn't 'earn' the fluffiness.  But ah well.  They earned it with their canonical sufferings, yes?

>>Seriously, I did like this lighter piece. I liked the gods involvement, how they watched this and claimed different aspects of our pair as  meaning they belonged to them. I liked how we could see more tokens being placed and the interaction we could see among the gods themself was enjoyable.>>

Thank you very much.  I enjoyed writing that part possibly more than writing the Spuffy bits, since I was having a great deal of trouble writing the Spuffy interactions (they were colliding in my mind with writing a happier Spuffy from the same era)... Though I very much enjoyed writing something from Tara's POV.

>>It was great to see things through Tara's view, her ability to read an aura would make her more likely to notice things. Also good for her to have a possibility for an income.  Hopefully that works out well for her>>

I would think so.  It's nice to think of her using that ability to get somewhere.  I always wondered why they didn't show her doing something of the sort in the background of the show.  She needed to stand on her own two feet, and it would be a reclamation of self in a way for her to thumb her nose at her family by proving what she did and was was lucrative.

Thank you so much as always for your kind words!!!

magnus374 Replied on April 27, 2020 10:58am

I too feel a closeness to the gods from before. I truly enjoy the Greek ones but for me it's the Nordic ones I like the most.

[Report This]
Nollsuns commented on “The Great Face-Off” on April 25, 2020 10:27am Liked

Even though you don't do fluff, that was so sweet and light and delightful I highly recommend more fluff for and from you. And more of your other fics (with higher ratings and angsty spiced with fluff), so probably you should write much, much more... thanks for this story. 

Author's Response on April 26, 2020 11:56pm

LMAO, thank you for the encouragement!
I will remember to write more fluff if I can, interspersed with the rest. 
(I'll tell you a secret; I already have one other fluff-only fic, but I can't post it till I'm done with posting Pt. 4 of the Souls series, because it was a gift-fic for OYB and it's set in a time-period after that series is mostly done... but yeah.  I suppose I CAN do fluff... here and there.  *blushes*)

Thank you so much for reading and commenting!!!

[Report This]
SheridannicMorrigan commented on “The Great Face-Off” on April 25, 2020 08:56am

This was fun, thank you applause

Author's Response on April 26, 2020 11:56pm

Aw, thank you so much for reading and commenting!!!

[Report This]
The Danish Bird commented on “The Great Face-Off” on April 25, 2020 08:37am Liked

Very nice! I like how you told it all from either Tara or the gods’ POV. it was a nice change.


I think you’re right about Tara noticing more than she said to anyone, seeing as she was afraid to upset them in the beginning. The one time in all of the series, when I felt Tara was way out of character was in Intervention, when she said that Buffy was nuts for having sex with Spike, while Willow said that it was understandable and tried to explain how Spike might have offered Buffy something they didn’t right now. Tara, being able to read auras should have seen both the bot not being Buffy and Spike radiating love and devotion at this point.

Lovely way to mix the two parts of your story, by having Tara notice the peacock censer and all the other symbols of the gods changing while the fight was going on. Giles seemed to notice too, though he didn’t really say much about it.

Thanks for sharing hearts

 

Author's Response on April 27, 2020 12:18am

>>Very nice! I like how you told it all from either Tara or the gods’ POV. it was a nice change.>>

I really loved writing Tara's POV.  I just love that girl.  And the Gods...  Well, not to TMI, but I'm part of a group of pagans who do a lot of Greek pantheon work, so this was a little spiritual for me to write something like this, and a lot of fun to boot.  I specifically enjoyed writing Hera and Zeus not as an unhappy marriage but just as a couple like Buffy and Spike who play games and snipe at each other but who do deeply love each other.  It's a big deal for me.  I hate how they're portrayed in most literature.  And the difference between Ares and Athena's foci when it comes to battle, their reasons for it...  (And I just love playing with Artemis and Hermes, lol)...

>>I think you’re right about Tara noticing more than she said to anyone, seeing as she was afraid to upset them in the beginning.>> 

Probably more TMI, but I really feel Tara in that part, and in general, for her background, and I guess I echoed my own upbringing in her, because after I saw Family the first time I was like, OH, I GET YOU GIRL.  I was raised by a total wannabe Aryan Nation militia bomb shelter 'they're gonna come for our guns' guy.  It was scary, bigoted shit, and you learn fast not to gainsay anything racists say.  Even if you love them and they love you and it's a totally different environment... if you've been verbally and emotionally (if not physically) abused by bigots, EVER... you do not, under any circumstances, take that chance again, at least till you're like forty, because you have panic attacks even thinking about it.  And if you've already been cast out, and your new chosen family is all you have left... there is NO way you're gonna risk that.  So, no.  That's the only reason I could think of why Tara never spoke up, even though I know she saw the real thing and read their auras and knew exactly what was going on the entire time.  (so, yeah, probably way TMI, but that's what informs my understanding of that girl.)

>>The one time in all of the series, when I felt Tara was way out of character was in Intervention, when she said that Buffy was nuts for having sex with Spike, while Willow said that it was understandable and tried to explain how Spike might have offered Buffy something they didn’t right now. Tara, being able to read auras should have seen both the bot not being Buffy and Spike radiating love and devotion at this point.>>

Yeah, that always kinda bugged me too, and the only thing I can think of is at that point she still read his hungers, his frustrated rage etc, and since Buffy at that point was still pre-death, she might think don't go there just because of your mom, etc, like putting herself into Buffy's shoes too much, "what if I'd done something like that when my Mom died?"  Like maybe she was over-identifying?  I dunno...  It's all I can think of.  Obviously around then Spike would've been all over the place at any given moment, and Buffy... wasn't exactly in a good, solid place.  *shrugs*  I dunno.

>>Lovely way to mix the two parts of your story, by having Tara notice the peacock censer and all the other symbols of the gods changing while the fight was going on. Giles seemed to notice too, though he didn’t really say much about it.>>

LOL, actually, the Gods' involvement, the way the story happened at all was entirely Twinkles' fault for putting 'a peacock' as one of the challenge's requirements.  It started this whole thing off, or it would've been entirely different.  Blame Twinkles!!!

But I'm glad, hehe.  

Thank you so much!!!

[Report This]
LovingWilliam commented on “The Great Face-Off” on April 25, 2020 08:36am Liked

 That was FUN!  I loved Tara's reading of their aura's and her thoughts about what see was seeing.  Loved how all the gods/goddesses claimed Spike and Buffy as "MINE" but then come to know that they each have a part of the lovers/warriors below and are pleased for them to be together.  

Author's Response on April 26, 2020 11:48pm

Aw, thank you so much!  What a lovely thing to say!  Yes, I always wanted to explore Tara's aura-reading in more depth.

I love writing stuff about the Greek pantheon, so this was a fun romp for me.  
Thank you again!

[Report This]
pfeifferpack commented on “The Great Face-Off” on April 25, 2020 04:33am Liked

I totally loved it. I especially loved the collection of items that only Tara (and quite possibly Giles) understood on the counter. Giles shouldn't argue about this new relationship since it is clear that certain Powers are all for it.

I adore Tara and love her in this story. She is strong and clever and wise. She is the one in tune with reality, sees behind the nonsense to the core of truth. She's the goddess (but most of us can see that in her anyway).

All that UST just bubbling and boiling and with a bit of help from competing gods... boom!

Neither Buffy nor Spike even cared much less noticed the audience.

Riley who?

Loved this completely. Smiled all the way through it.

Yeah, fluffy is good and at times necessary. So... who IS the big fluffy puppy with teeth now?

Kathleen

Author's Response on April 27, 2020 12:26am

>>I totally loved it. I especially loved the collection of items that only Tara (and quite possibly Giles) understood on the counter. Giles shouldn't argue about this new relationship since it is clear that certain Powers are all for it.>>

We can completely blame Twinkles for the way this story came out; for the items, for the Gods' involvement, that entire aspect.  She randomly put 'a peacock' as one of the challenge's requirements, and off we went!  But I loved that it came out this way!!!

>>I adore Tara and love her in this story. She is strong and clever and wise. She is the one in tune with reality, sees behind the nonsense to the core of truth. She's the goddess (but most of us can see that in her anyway).>>

Honestly, Tara is just...  I identify so damn much with that girl, with her background, all of it.  I just... really feel her in who she was, who she becomes in the show, all of it.  Tara is like my avatar.  After I saw Family the first time I was like, OH, I GET YOU GIRL.  Possibly back to TMI land, but  I was raised by a total wannabe Aryan Nation militia bomb shelter 'they're gonna come for our guns' guy.  It was scary, bigoted shit, and you learn fast not to gainsay anything racists say.  Even if you love them and they love you and it's a totally different environment... if you've been verbally and emotionally (if not physically) abused by bigots, EVER... you do not, under any circumstances, take that chance again, at least till you're like forty, because you have panic attacks even thinking about it.  And if you've already been cast out, and your new chosen family is all you have left... there is NO way you're gonna risk that.  It's the only reason I could think of why Tara never spoke up, even though I know she saw the real thing and read their auras and knew exactly what was going on the entire time.  So, yeah... that's what informs my understanding of that girl.  And why I can never but stand back in awe of her growth, her transformation into the independent, confident woman she became on the show.  
(DO NOT GET ME STARTED on her being cut down in the end by the random bullet of a whiny incel pissed off that he didn't win.)

>>All that UST just bubbling and boiling and with a bit of help from competing gods... boom!>>

I mean... they really didn't need much help, huh?

>>Neither Buffy nor Spike even cared much less noticed the audience.>>

hehe, the're all just standing back there gaping, and those two are like... What's even happ... oh, who the hell cares.  EAT MY FACE.

>>Riley who?>>

THERE IS NO RILEY

>>Loved this completely. Smiled all the way through it.>>

I'm so glad!!!  I was honestly embarrassed to post it (I feel weirdly guilty when i write fluff without the characters doing something to 'deserve it' first... don't ask me, I swear, it's probably a problem, lol)... but clearly they went thru enough in canon to deserve this, so whatev.

>>Yeah, fluffy is good and at times necessary. So... who IS the big fluffy puppy with teeth now?>>

NOT ME!!!
LOL

Thank you so much!!!

pfeifferpack Replied on April 27, 2020 12:42am

I got lucky with the way I was raised. My elder sisters, not so much. My mom came from a family that were sheet wearing (literally) Klan members. My mom was a single mom with two daughters who wound up having her own mom and dad take care of the girls while she worked a couple of jobs (mom was born in 1913, eldest sis born in 1933 and the other sister in 1940). Mom was not a bigot... don't know HOW that happened. Family went CRAZY when she married my dad, a Roman Catholic of full Irish background.

Dad was not abusive or a bigot but after 34 years in the Navy, he was one tough guy and brilliant, you didn't fuck with. He held them all at arms length, adopted my sister closest in age to me (I was born in 1954). It was way too late for the eldest who lined up with mom's family in beliefs and attitudes. The other sister is more liberal but has her issues from time to time. As for me... I was BLESSED! 

I had to hear horrible crap when we visited but they had NO input in my raising. My dad was VERY strong and they didn't screw with him. I know what you mean about bigots. Bigots with guns (which they were) are even worse. Not raised in the environment but adjacent so I know enough to *hugs massive hugs* you and get what you mean. My poor mom could NOT handle "discord" so anger was never permitted lest she be turned into a gibbering idiot. (Hence I have NO idea of how to process anger when it's a personal situation. I get righteously angry for others, against injustice and bigotry and so forth but not when personally attacked). I see that her sitch growing up is why she was that way and in turn it filtered to her kids so even NOT being physically in that environment it had an impact. 


Much love,

k

 

Author's Response on May 22, 2020 01:32am

Man, I swear my email is anti-replies-to-replies notifications.  So sorry I missed this!!

>>I got lucky with the way I was raised. My elder sisters, not so much. My mom came from a family that were sheet wearing (literally) Klan members.>>

OMG, that's just so...  EW.  I can only imagine.

>>My mom was a single mom with two daughters who wound up having her own mom and dad take care of the girls while she worked a couple of jobs (mom was born in 1913, eldest sis born in 1933 and the other sister in 1940). Mom was not a bigot... don't know HOW that happened. Family went CRAZY when she married my dad, a Roman Catholic of full Irish background.>>

The horror (I mean, yeah, I know that cultural backstory, but it just sounds so petty nowadays, doesn't it?)!  I feel like a lot of folks who see/are surrounded with bigotry do an about-face because they're just TIRED OF HEARING IT.

>>Dad was not abusive or a bigot but after 34 years in the Navy, he was one tough guy and brilliant, you didn't fuck with.>>

oh yeah, know the type.  I'm from a Navy family as well.  That hardass-but-fair, yankee-knowhow, make it work, hold all your emotions close to the vest thing...

>>He held them all at arms length, adopted my sister closest in age to me (I was born in 1954). It was way too late for the eldest who lined up with mom's family in beliefs and attitudes. The other sister is more liberal but has her issues from time to time.>>

I think it's damn near impossible to avoid all the messages in this society!

>>As for me... I was BLESSED! I had to hear horrible crap when we visited but they had NO input in my raising. My dad was VERY strong and they didn't screw with him.>>

that is awesome.  having a strong person in your life who could stand in front of you.  That was my mother, for me.

>>I know what you mean about bigots. Bigots with guns (which they were) are even worse. Not raised in the environment but adjacent so I know enough to *hugs massive hugs* you and get what you mean. My poor mom could NOT handle "discord" so anger was never permitted lest she be turned into a gibbering idiot. (Hence I have NO idea of how to process anger when it's a personal situation. I get righteously angry for others, against injustice and bigotry and so forth but not when personally attacked). I see that her sitch growing up is why she was that way and in turn it filtered to her kids so even NOT being physically in that environment it had an impact.>>

Yeah, that's me.  I turn into a passive-aggressive mollusk when anyone remotely... huh.  Even assertive walks into my airspace, much less someone authoritarian.  Fighting back against the crap I grew up around... I get MASSIVELY righteously angry inside my own head or rant around and make huge statements and write essays... but to do anything one-on-one feels like dying.  One time I had to snap back against one of my father's friends (an 'uncle') on facebook when he said something generationally/unthinkingly racist, and even knowing he was on a computer, hundreds of miles away, I was so terrified of speaking against him that I went to my doctor's appointment afterward and my blood pressure was so high they were worried about me (it's usually super low) and I was shaking all over.  I was probably having a panic attack.  But even having a debate that's incredibly civil about something like finances or whatever makes me panicky.  

It's really weird how never facing confrontation teaches you nothing about managing even normal, everyday discussions in which nothing is all that fraught...  You become the ultimate peacekeeper / smoother-over...  Or just avoid like hell.  Which, you'd think we could get past shit like that after a few decades outside a situation, but there's all that 'learned brain patterns from childhood when your synapses form' crap...

PTSD is so weird, and so are learned communication patterns.

I hope you're doing well, m'dear, and that you and your hubby are keeping your heads above water alright during all this mess.  *hugs*



[Report This]
Liverdoc commented on “The Great Face-Off” on April 25, 2020 04:09am

One of the mostly randomly fabulous things I have ever read. I absolutely loved it. Just excellent. 

Tell me, have you ever read Thorne Smith's "Night Life of the Gods"? 

Because if you haven't you should. Old, but perfect. And ignore that woman who ripped it off a few years ago. 

Author's Response on April 26, 2020 11:46pm

Oh, wow, thank you so very much for such high praise!  I'm very glad you enjoyed it!
I love me some Greek Gods fun.

I have not heard of this tale, but I will look it up and get a copy forthwith, thank you for the rec!  (Don't know who the ripoff is, luckily.)
I've of course read "American Gods", but other than that, I don't think anything else in similar vein...

Thank you very much again!

[Report This]
srbeaver commented on “The Great Face-Off” on April 25, 2020 03:01am Liked

This is a very fun story. I love how the gods are all invested in Spike and Buffy's relatipnship. Poor Tara who most likely ended up with a headache with all the bond coming off of those two.

Author's Response on April 26, 2020 11:44pm

Thank you so very much for your kind words!  LOL, yeah, Tara's empath-ness got a serious wallop in this one, poor girl (I just ADORE Tara, so it was really fun to get to 'be in her' for this tale).  

flowers

[Report This]
Miss Marisol commented on “The Great Face-Off” on April 25, 2020 01:46am Liked

Absolutely hilarious! Poor Tara, even in Oregon she would have felt the sexual energy between our two favorite blondes biggrin

Loved the Gods... and this one made my heart sing:

Peace, sister.  He is mine.  He has been since before he was a Son of Night.  He will heel well to her cause.  And as to your concerns, Beloved… they both have the need to battle.  They will channel this urge as one.  

Thanks for sharing this amazing fic with us!

Author's Response on April 25, 2020 02:09am

Aw, thank you so much; you ease my mind. I'm scared to death of posting fluffy schmoopy stuff like this, because I'm so much more comfy with my angst tub with my torture-the-children bath toys. Then, when I feel they've earned it, the smut-and-schmoop that happens naturally afterwards is, I dunno, less weird to me or something, so just having it HAPPEN like this freaked me out.

I will say the Gods' parts came out first and easiest. Have had them done for days. Didn't get the Spuffy bits out till tonight, lol.

Thank you so very much for commenting!!! You warm my heart.

[Report This]
Please log in or register to comment.