Absolutely adored this story and all the twists and turns you took with it! Your Anya is so good and she nails Buffy from the start. And we LOVE a Buffy who shakes off her hang ups and embraces her own sexuality. Plus I love that you changed up evil!Willow and took on Amy as the villain of the piece. Really refreshing and wonderful. Loved it![Report This]
Okayyy, so this certainly read on the surface of it as a pretty cracky premise. But it was so highly rated and so well-liked that I decided to give it a shot.
So glad I did! A few favorite bits/moments:
- Buffy using the phone sex job as a way of getting back in touch with her feelings and coming alive again after being so numb for so long-- really interesting/cool
- The fact that most of her callers are just looking for human connection, every bit as much as a 'happy ending'
- I loved the symmetry of Xander showing up at Spike's crypt sheepishly to stay with him awhile
- ...and the subsequent search for a place for Spike and Buffy to finally get together, only to find the crypt and Buffy's house 'occupied'... and thus to return to the place where it all started.
- There's a parallelism that's so neat and subtle that I wasn't even sure if it was intentional, but regardless was so amazing: Willow and Amy's 'venture' versus Buffy and Anya's. Both have a sort of MLM/exploitative feel on the surface, and both could end up 'sucking the life' from those who participate. The difference is in whether there's an attempt to steal others' power or to give theirs away. Buffy's new job allows her to be emotional and open, gifting her time and energy. Willow and Amy are closing themselves off, taking energy from others. Fascinating juxtaposition and such an intriguing note re: how women can use relationships and connection to take power, collapsing a system of connection, or to share power, ultimately strengthening bonds.
- Generally speaking, your characters go through a lot more believable emotional growth than in other stories. You can follow each character's trajectory over time, which is excellent.
- By a similar token, no one is demonized (ha!). Everyone feels 'real', with flaws that are nevertheless forgivable provided the character is working on those flaws. That includes all of our main characters, but also those in our periphery: a major plus in my books that no one is "inherently disreputable/bad" in your story. I can tell you like people in general; it shines through in your writing.
- Awesome villain. For how little time we spent with Amy, what she (and Willow, at first) was doing was creepy and evil, and the confrontation scene between her and Buffy was fantastic. She also had a believable villain arc and reason for what she was doing.
- There were also just a few stellar lines/moments. One of my favorites was when Buffy asks if Spike might leave her "for my own good" and Spike says that HE is "for her own good". I almost cried. If only Angel had been able to figure that out. (Of course, then we wouldn't have gotten this pairing, but still.)
Overall I was floored by how invested I was in this "cracky premise" and will definitely read again. Thank you for writing and sharing with us![Report This]
I apologize for not leaving comments all along the way of your wonderful story--the problem with downloading and reading offline-- but it was a WONDERFUL RIDE! Really enjoyed how you worked it so Buffy could find her 'Sunny side' with Richard, and really get a look behind the Big Bad's curtain of protection. The smuttiness was hot and also sweet. And the Willow/Amy thing was clever and I could totally see that happening! And getting rid of the Trio via the sex line-- inspired!
AND CALLING GILES OUT ON HIS BULLSHIT LEAVING! Ahhh, that was SWEET!
The Dawn and Buffy relationship slowly coming back together, and of course Spike and Dawn, always love his big brother protectiveness of the nibblet. All of that was just lovely.
Spike feral in the woods... and Buffy not being put off by it or afraid of it. Melty! And what a perfect way to get rid of that damn chip. Ergh, when Spike got beat up by those humans -- that was just gutting!
I'm sure there is a ton that I loved that I haven't commented on, so again, I apologize for one big SCHMOOPY comment for the whole thing.
Thank you so much for such an entertaining, clever, and HOT story. Bravo!
What a wonderful gem of a story. You took a fun, lighthearted premise and grew it into the very best version of itself. Lighthearted, yes, and also sweet, poignant, dramatic, sexy, creative, and insightful. I love how you incorporated small phone sex details to add realism, like having Sunny wait until her client’s minutes clicked over to the next billing whatever before giving him his release. As others have commented, the witchy MLM was brilliant and creepy and totally spot on. I love everything you write; this is another story that’s getting added to my favorites — stat! Thanks for sharing your art with us.[Report This]
I like dawn and buffy a lot in this story..they are trying more and reaching more for one another even of it's still a long way to go..
" Look at Spike.” “Where?” Buffy jumped and spun around wildly, looking" 😁😁
"I’m serious. It gives me, like, hope. Almost like your teenage Slayer self will be there reminding me that she’s got my back.”..😊
I love the Mix of laughter and tenderness..
Spike having sunny pretend to be buffy made me giggle a lot although i should have expected it, but the situation was so hilarious...
Well, that ended in the perfect place. Xander and Anya seem to be taking things carefully, Giles may have found a match, Tara and Willow seem set, and Spuffy are shagging like bunnies and talking marriage. This was a wonderful ride, hot, sweet, angsty at times, and just the right amount of all of it. Thank you so much for writing this![Report This]
Now get Spike! The sun’s down, you gotta big bad to fight, and Spike would be useful! Also, get them back in each others’ spheres, and UGH, Spike, you GOTTA know by now that Buffy didn’t mean to humiliate you! She’s reaching out for you, you idiot! Hope they manage to rip Amy a new one.[Report This]
Spike, let Buffy talk. She’s trying to soften to you, and you’re being all defensive and getting her back up. Silly vampire. Glad Buffy found a job she likes. Hope Giles does something to stop the nonsense going on with the witches.[Report This]
Spike’s party was charming. I’m glad Anya and Xander didn’t have that blow up at the altar, would have made it worse. I hadn’t realized Buffy quit the job — or are they mistaken? Anyway, poor Spike is going to come out of this barely alive. He should have tried to run. (Might not have worked, of course.)[Report This]