Past Featured Story
Summary: Icelandic noir. 
Inspector Summers of the Reykjavik police force has finally got her big chance: she’s in charge of a murder case.    
Beta and Sensitivity Readers: None
Artists: None
Categories: Alternate Reality
Characters: Anya, Buffy, Drusilla, Giles, Spike
Genres: Dramedy, Humor
Warnings: Adult Language, Sexual Situations
Completed: Yes Chapters: 10
Word count: 30,130 Hit Count: 11,329 ePub Downloads: 171
Published: October 29, 2016 Updated: February 24, 2017


Print or Download Story: Printer Microsoft Word ePub eBook

View All Chapters

Story Notes:      AU.  Things do work the same way as in canon, more or less, though the Council must have been stretched a bit thin when Buffy was called. 
     This story is written for the lovelies of Elysian Fields, who fill and refill these characters over and over in the most innovative and interesting ways. I stumbled across the site when I was looking up villanelles, which led me to anaross’s My Life Closed Twice (with its fantastic demon poetry classes), which in turn led me to read HUNDREDS OF OTHER STORIES with increasing fascination. (And to actually watch some of Angel.) Y’all have inspired me to write my first fiction since college, over 25 years ago, so thank you!
     My apologies to Iceland. I was only there for 9 days, and I wrote most of this first, which was a fantastic and fun way to do travel research – but I’m sure I got a ton of things dead wrong in this story. 
     It’s been very fun to work with these TV characters that I will never make any money off of. They continue to be owned by their owners despite my manipulation. The plot and words are mine; please do not repost or republish without permission.
  
 

1. Chapter 1 - The Inspector by yellowb - Likes: 29 Comments: 28 Word Count: 1,448 Hit Count: 2,264 Published: October 29, 2016

Currently unbeta-ed. If anyone thinks this would be fun to beta, please message me! I expect 8 or 9 chapters, if they stay split up as they are (they are largely written). Perhaps a beta would help with this, and also tell me when I’ve left out whole words that I think are there, and also remind me that it does not disrespect the sentence to end the sentence, and also that the solution to every plot problem is not to make up another monster, even though that’s what my new fiction muse really prefers.

2. Chapter 2 - The District Medical Officer by yellowb - Likes: 33 Comments: 21 Word Count: 2,701 Hit Count: 1,177 Published: November 04, 2016

A big thank you to Gort for her enthusiasm in beta’ing this! All remaining run-on sentences and word repetitions exist despite her best efforts. 

3. Chapter 3 - The Museum Director by yellowb - Likes: 33 Comments: 20 Word Count: 3,652 Hit Count: 1,045 Published: November 12, 2016

It's been a very hard week, but I've been so grateful to see my favorite stories here continue; and this had been written and beta'd already.

A serious thank you to Gort for that beta-ing!  All remaining or new run-on sentences, questionable wordings, or general errors are mine.

4. Chapter 4 - The Expert by yellowb - Likes: 36 Comments: 28 Word Count: 4,774 Hit Count: 1,148 Published: November 18, 2016

Beta'd by Gort!  Thank you, Gort, for making me think.

5. Chapter 5 - The Pursuit by yellowb - Likes: 32 Comments: 22 Word Count: 3,066 Hit Count: 1,107 Published: November 24, 2016

Today I give thanks for Gort, who beta'd this over her coffee on Thanksgiving day.
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you who celebrate, happy anti-colonialization to those who don't, and happy Pangs viewing to all!  

6. Chapter 6 - The Usual Suspects by yellowb - Likes: 27 Comments: 22 Word Count: 3,578 Hit Count: 1,153 Published: December 03, 2016

     Many thanks to Beta Gort!

     I have a t-shirt somewhere drawn by the late Gene Greif, a very fine illustrator, which says: “Art is Hard” and shows the artist poking himself in the eye. That’s kind of how this chapter felt.  I’m so very impressed with y’all who write multiple stories.

7. Chapter 7 - The Colleague by yellowb - Likes: 31 Comments: 20 Word Count: 2,749 Hit Count: 892 Published: December 28, 2016

      Many thanks to Gort for the beta-ing and encouragement! (And "in a blink.")

      So sorry about the wait for this. The election was just such an unexpected sucker punch that I stopped writing anything new while I used up the backlog of chapters. Also I have this idea that maybe Dru needs her own chapter, and that might change some things; but it’s hard to get a handle on her voice. So it’s going to be slower going now.

8. Chapter 8 - The Victim by yellowb - Likes: 26 Comments: 17 Word Count: 783 Hit Count: 782 Published: January 04, 2017

This is the tiniest chapter, and it made me extra nervous, because ... Dru. So thanks to Gort for her keen beta eye and to Flootzavut for her extra eye.

I'm hoping to post the next chapter this weekend, since this is so wee.

9. Chapter 9 - The Plan by yellowb - Likes: 30 Comments: 20 Word Count: 2,577 Hit Count: 877 Published: January 14, 2017

     Thank you to Gort for the beta! And especially for pointing out that police think speed limits exist for the rest of us.  And I've done the bad thing here, rewriting a bit and then just posting without re-betaing because I couldn't bear not to.  Any new mistakes are all mine.  Please let me know if you see anything.

     Writing this chapter has made me much more appreciative of all those library scenes in the show. Though perhaps finding a way to skip the explication altogether would have been even better.

10. Chapter 10 - The Perp by yellowb - Likes: 50 Comments: 38 Word Count: 4,802 Hit Count: 884 Published: February 24, 2017

     First of all, I am sorry for the long wait for this chapter! I had really good intentions.

     Second, many, many thanks: first of all, to Gort, who beta’d this lurching & uneven fic very patiently. Though it’s my nature to keep messing around, so if you see an error it’s not her fault and you should let me know. Also to Flootzavut, for a little extra beta-soothing along the way. And a special thanks to Sigurður Atlason, the real-life proprietor of the Icelandic Museum of Witchcraft and Sorcery in Holmavik, who provided me with Giles’ shouted spell in Icelandic.  And then, of course, I would like to thank everyone who encouraged this impulsive fledge writer with a lower-than-average ability to stick to a plan: your comments and likes are the only reason I have finished this.