Past Featured Story
Summary: A series of New Year's Eve encounters between Buffy and Spike throughout the years.  
Beta and Sensitivity Readers: None
Artists: None
Categories: Holiday Fic, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4, Season 5, Season 6, Season 7, Post-Series, Crossover (AtS)
Characters: Buffy, Spike
Genres: Angst, Romance
Warnings: Adult Language
Completed: Yes Chapters: 8
Word count: 16,749 Hit Count: 14,686 ePub Downloads: 198
Published: December 26, 2012 Updated: January 03, 2013


Print or Download Story: Printer Microsoft Word ePub eBook

View All Chapters

1. (S2) 1997 by Baphrosia - Likes: 21 Comments: 17 Word Count: 2,364 Hit Count: 2,730

I felt like adding to the glut of Holiday fic, so here you go!   :)   This is in no way meant to be deep or thought-provoking, and may require the occasional suspension of disbelief over how our heroes act.  The holidays can make you act a little crazy, you know.

Ever so loosely based on 'When Harry Met Sally' - the premise that Harry and Sally make a pact to spend New Year's Eve together anytime they're alone.

I'm currently through S5, and hope to post a chapter a day, but don't hold me to it.  I thought S2 would be the hardest to write.  It turns out it wasn't, because when Buffy starts getting visions of Dru, she only questions whether Dru is alive, not Spike.  And she's not surprised to see that he's alive later on.  So obviously she did meet up with him on New Year's Eve.  Right?

2. (S3) 1998 by Baphrosia - Likes: 10 Comments: 7 Word Count: 1,981 Hit Count: 1,699

Thank you all for the reviews!

I forgot to mention last time, the lovely and talented Peaceheather read through my first chapter for me, and gave me much needed feedback.  Also, none of these characters belong to me, yadda yadda yadda.  *Pouts.*

S3 turned out to be as easy to work around as S2 - and here I thought the later seasons would be easiest.  This is set post 'Lover's Walk', and fit in right after Angel's mystical Christmas snow.  At which point Buffy and Angel were still trying to be 'just friends', although that didn't last much longer.

3. (S4) 1999 by Baphrosia - Likes: 8 Comments: 5 Word Count: 1,910 Hit Count: 1,741
Buffy timelines are all wonky, but I'm setting this one between 'Doomed' and 'A New Man', despite the air dates, since 'Doomed' follows right on the heels of 'Hush' - and 'Hush' is definitely still fall semester.  Plus, this way, it makes more sense when Spike complains that the Slayer didn't come to see him off when he moves out of Xander's basement.  She really has no reason to in canon, not unless they'd recently shared some kind of off-screen moment.  :)

4. (S5) 2000 by Baphrosia - Likes: 13 Comments: 9 Word Count: 2,363 Hit Count: 1,596

This one turned out to be a bit harder to place in the timeline.  Originally, I wrote it to come after 'Triangle' (when Anya and Willow release the troll), because I figured it would be easier to put Spike and Buffy together after they've had what appears to be their first post-Riley-leaving encounter (with the troll in the Bronze).  But the script made it clear classes had already started up again, so I had to fit this before, since I'm determined to try to keep everything reasonably within canon.  I rewrote it a bit... and hopefully Spike worrying about the Slayer blaming him for Riley leaving, even after this encounter, still works.  If not... *shrugs*.  Suspension of disbelief is your friend and mine.

Speaking of staying in canon... would you rather see a S8/AtS S5 New Year's Eve encounter, which would have to be AU, or have this end with S7?

5. (S6) 2001 by Baphrosia - Likes: 13 Comments: 10 Word Count: 1,684 Hit Count: 1,640

Even though writing angst is my default mode... even though I love a good well-written, angsty S6 story... even though I've watched S6 the most... I don't actually like writing canon S6.  I've only ever tried it once before... and I still haven't posted that piece.  *Shudders*

All this to say... I kinda had to go with the angst this chapter.  Set after 'Gone'.  Also, yes, there will be a S8!  I'm in the middle of writing it... we'll see where it goes.  Thanks for the responses.  :)  And a Happy 2013 to all!

6. (S7) 2002 by Baphrosia - Likes: 10 Comments: 8 Word Count: 1,402 Hit Count: 1,659 Published: January 01, 2013
This one is set after 'Showtime'.  Many, many thanks for all the reviews!  And I DO have another chapter after this, so don't fret, we won't end before we get to better Spuffy times.

7. (Angel S5) 2003 by Baphrosia - Likes: 12 Comments: 11 Word Count: 2,809 Hit Count: 1,741 Published: January 01, 2013
This one is set either during or after 'Soul Purpose'.  Angel S5 is really hard to reconcile with Buffy... Spike is supposed to pop out of the amulet only 19 days later, and when get gets his body he says something about it being only 3 months since Sunnydale... but we're well after Halloween by that point.  Which means that the Sunnydale apocalypse happened August-ish -- later than usual, not earlier than usual.  *Huffs*  Oh well.

8. (A Different Kind of New Year) 2004 by Baphrosia - Likes: 26 Comments: 18 Word Count: 2,236 Hit Count: 1,879 Published: January 01, 2013

Here's the Spuffy goodness I promised, and this story is now COMPLETE!  Thanks for coming along for the ride and sharing your thoughts.  As always, all props to Joss Whedon and his associates, without whom I would need to find a different obsession.  

A very happy and prosperous 2013 to all my readers!